November 28, 2009

How To Freak Out Mom - By Beckett

Howdy; Beckett here...

Meadow, Carmella and I have always done a great job freaking out mom.  It's a skill.  We catch birds, mice and chipmunks; Meadow dives off of things; Carmella likes to break free and take runs around the neighborhood; I'm allergic to bees and something in my booster shots.

Mom is ready, or at least as much as she can be, for these types of things.  She dives towards Meadow to catch her; always has Benedryl on-hand for me; a box of treats by the door and an extra leash for Carmella.

What mom wasn't ready for was me choking on WATER!

Meadow and I were playing a little before bedtime and I decided to try and bark at her while drinking.  Wrong move, let me tell you.  I choked and gasped and wheezed...and puked.  Everything was OK for a few minutes after that.  Then, right after mom put on her pjs, I started gasping and choking again.

Off to the Veterinary ER we went.  Mom is asthmatic, so she takes that whole breathing thing pretty seriously.

Turns out I aspirated water.  The doctor thinks I coughed most of it out, thank goodness, but wants mom to watch me like a hawk because if there is still water in my little lungs - it can turn into aspiration pneumonia really quickly.

Momma did have a party to go to on Saturday night; but too bad.  She's staying home with me!

Ruff,
Beckett

10 comments:

  1. Beckett,
    Bless your heart. What an odd thing to happen but I hope you are fine and will be back to play soon. Too bad your mommy missed her party. :(

    Tulip likes to dash off as well and believe me it is a living heart attack!

    Take care,
    Tulip and Christy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beckett!
    I hope you are doing well now! Sure that was a scary episode!
    Take care
    Kisses and hugs
    Lorenza

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Beckett, please do not teach my doggies that trick! Hope you are soon feeling better! Water is for drinking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awwww you poor thing! Feel Better. <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, girl. That stinks! Trust me when I say I can totally relate to random ER vet trips on holiday weekends! Dumb dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beckett, didn't your mom ever tell you not to talk with your mouth full? Even if it is just water? Glad you are feeling better and that your mom didn't have a total conniption fit!
    Snuggles,
    Twix

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beckett, you doofus! Way to scare your mom! And water? Couldn't you do better than that???

    Strudel

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh my goodness!! it's amazing how out lives can revolve around such little furry things. i would have done the same. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW Beckett....It is so NOT a good idea to freak Mama out!! I hope you are feeling better now...remember drinking and barking =BAD

    Sorry your Mama had to miss the party, but way glad she stayed home to keep you company!

    Smileys!
    Dory

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beckett, you should know that the hooman mommies ALWAYS freak out over everything. Our Mom is spastic when it comes to us. One little sniffle and she's ready to take us to the V-E-T. But in all fairness, we should be better about not giving Mom a heart attack nearly every day! We are furry glad that you are okay. Try to take pity on the Mommy and not give her a heart attack too often, 'kay?

    Chihuahua kisses,
    The Munchkins

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments! Tell me what you're thinking. :-)

 
Blog Design by Creative Girl Media