January 04, 2010

Tuesdays At The Table - Spice Cake

Happy New Year!! I know that I should post something healthy this week.  But before I transition back to actual meals and something at least quasi-healthy... I want to share one last recipe that was a hit in my family during the holidays. 

This cake recipe was given to me by a friend of my mom's...and this year it disappeared just as soon as it was cool enough to eat by all sorts of family and friends over the past month.

Lovely Yellow Ribbons

Spice Cake

1 box (10 oz) seedless raisins
2 cups (packed) brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon allspice
1 teaspoon cloves
1/2 cup crisco
2 cups warm water

Boil all above ingredients for about 5 minutes (until raisins plump up) and let cool.

1 teaspoon baking soda
2 tablespoons milk
2 eggs (beaten)
2 cups flour
1 cup walnuts (chopped)

In a large bowl combine the above cooled mixture with baking soda and milk. Mix in the eggs, then slowly add the flour.  Stir in the walnuts and bake at 350 - approximately 25 minutes for muffins, 35-40 minutes for baby bundts or an hour for a 9x13 pan (greased and floured).

What's cooking in your kitchen?

 

12 comments:

  1. Oh yum! This is the kind of cake that makes the whole house smell great when baking! It also looks like a good cake to make and freeze for serving later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, thank you for sharing the recipe.:)

    Love,
    Teddy Bear

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll have to try this one! I have to admit that I've only made spice cake from a box mix! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds great... Wow a lot of people have already added today..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! Spice cake is a favorite here! Thanks so much for hosting!
    ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmm! I love spice cake, but I'm definitely a NO raisin girl!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi wondering if you ever got your green white elephant present? Could you let me know? Thanks! Looks good btw :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is it weird that I love Spice cakes, but don't like raisins? I'll have to try this one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was happy to join Tuesdays at the Table for the first time today...a little late but still Tuesday! Hope you enjoy my addition!

    Stay Cozy, Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can't wait to read all these yummy recipes! Thanks for letting me link up!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments! Tell me what you're thinking. :-)

 
Blog Design by Creative Girl Media