June 14, 2010

Tuesdays At The Table - Chicken Caprese Sandwiches

Happy Tuesday, ladies!  After my long weekend - it was awfully hard motivating myself to return to work Monday morning.  I wish I could tell you I did lots of fun and exciting things over my long weekend.  Unfortunately - that's not the case this time.  Instead, I spent quality time with my mom, aunts and grandmother. It was my grandmother's turn to be in the hospital (AGAIN, poor thing!!).  Four days, two hospitals and a pacemaker later...things are looking up!


Caprese salad is one of my favorite, but the sandwich version is pretty darn yummy too.

Lovely Yellow Ribbons

Chicken Caprese Sandwiches
2 small ciabatta loaves, cut in the middle
2 chicken breasts (cooked)
2 fresh mozzarella balls
2 Roma (plum) tomatoes
Handful of fresh basil leaves
Olive oil

Cut your ciabatta in half; slice your mozzarella, chicken & tomatoes.  On both sides of your ciabatta bread, give a very light drizzle of olive oil.  Lay down a layer of fresh basil leaves, then tomatoes - followed by the chicken and finally your mozzarella.

Now that you have the base recipe, I have a few improvements for you:
1. Toast your ciabatta, then rub a garlic clove over the inside.  Very tasty!
2.  Assemble as normal and pull out your panini maker...or a skillet and foil wrapped brick. Toasty goodness!
3. Forgo the basil on the sandwich and use a quick pesto instead.  Recipe below.

Pesto
2 cups lightly packed fresh basil
2 to 3 cloves garlic
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup to 2/3 cup olive oil

Dump into the food processor and whir until all ingredients come together.  Remember - this should be a bit on the chunky side...not emulsified!

What's cooking in your kitchen?


31 comments:

  1. I might try that for the boy, I think he'd like it.

    I'm sorry to hear about your Gma, but I'm happy to hear things are looking up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How funny! We both had a similar recipe today! Except I had store bought pesto - I will try your recipe next time! Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks wonderful! I've never tried caprese on ciabatta before. Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a really good sandwich!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like an awesome sandwich, especially with the pesto. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope your grandma is doing better.

    Thank you so much for hosting this each week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for hosting Tuesdays at the Table! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That sounds perfect! Adding it to my list! Thanks for hosting!
    Mickey

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds DELICOUS! The perfect meal for hot summer evenings!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just discovered your blog and I'm so excited about it. This looks like a great carnival you have going on and I can't wait to check out the other links.
    I love your sandwich recipe - it sounds so yummy and refreshing!
    I just added my link for Stuffed Bell Peppers - I am also hosting a new blog hop called Two for Tuesdays and I'd love it if you would join us!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds delicious and I have been wanting to make some pesto. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad to hear your Grandma is doing better! Your recipe sounds really delicious. Thank you for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think I will be making this recipe. It sounds awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks so delicious. I love all things caprese! Hope grandma continues to improve!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for hosting. I love looking at all these recipes. I figure that if I can't find something there for dinner, then something's wrong! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is my first time joining Tuesdays at the Table. I love Caprese...your sandwich sounds yummy. I posted Herb-Infused Olive Oil, which makes salad delicious and adds great flavor to pizza dough!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh I love chicken sandwiches! This is going to be my dinner tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Caprese anything is dee-lish!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am new--thanks for hosting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi :-}
    The sandwich sounds both easy and delicious - a double winner!!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for the opportuntiy to link up my 5 ingredient 1 dish Asian noodle recipe with you.
    Nancy
    http://www.howtohomemaker.com/

    ReplyDelete
  22. That recipe just says "summer" to me. Yum! can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  23. That caprese sandwich sounds amazing! I love caprese salads so of course I'd love this too!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I've never heard of caprese before...where have I been? It sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh, that looks SO good! I'm bookmarking this one!

    Thanks for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Caprese is the best!!!! Yum. Cute blog.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments! Tell me what you're thinking. :-)

 
Blog Design by Creative Girl Media