August 27, 2010

Gone In A Flash...

Dearly beloved, we are gathered here to commemorate the passing of my favorite ever camera.  You lived a short, but valuable life - providing great color, clarity, zoom and facial recognition.  You will be missed.
Yep, my poor camera is dead.  I love, love, love taking pictures. It's rare that I go more than a few days without using my camera.  My cute little Canon PowerShot was always with me. Sure that meant that my purse was that much heavier...but you never know when you'll have see something cute, funny, sweet, absolutely beautiful and need to take a picture to share with other.  It suffered a "fall injury" that seemed minor.  It barely touched the floor...but that was enough to jam the battery/memory card door shut.

There was a little prying with fingertips.
Much googling ensued. 
To no avail...

I ended up going to BestBuy (where I bought the camera), where they promptly told me that they have no idea how to actually fix cameras and that I'm S.O.L. (Shit Outta Luck, for those of you who don't use the same random acronyms that I do.) I went on to Ritz Camera.  They were very helpful and told me that I could fix the camera.  For um...$15 less than I paid for it...and it would take 8-12 weeks. *Update: After two frustrating encounters with camera experts, I let my dad have a crack at it.  He did get the little door open on the camera but somehow that killed the circuit.  Before dad's fix, it turned on...but there was no memory card in there (I had just removed it before the drop) and now the door opens but the camera won't turn on. Whimper....*

So, now I'm stuck.  I know that a camera is an "extra" for some people, but it's a neccessity for me. Do I buy a cheap one and suck it up until I can buy a new nice camera?  Do I try and find a way to fit a new camera into my already tight budget?  At least I get to borrow my mom's fabulous camera while I decide!  (Mom is awesome, and if she isn't careful...I'm permanently borrowing this sucker!!  Well... maybe not.  But it's tempting!)

7 comments:

  1. I have the EXACT same camera as you...even the color (assuming the color in the pic is the one you have). Anyway, the same thing happened to it a couple months ago except I didn't drop it (or at least I didn't try opening it for several weeks after I dropped it so I don't know how it really happened). I couldn't get the little door to open and was freaking out. My husband tried too and no luck. Eventually we both took a break and he tried again using something to pry it open and it opened so I got the battery charged. Since then I've used it several times and it hasn't jammed again.

    So basically, BEFORE you go out and get a new camera (unless its urgent that you have one) try and try again! You may just save it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Borrow your mom's and see if you like it enough to buy another when it's time. In the meantime, maybe, hopefully, your beloved will come out of it's coma and work again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear about your camera. I can understand what you mean when you say you are never without your camera. My mom carries one in her purse and her iphone too! She drives me bonkers with all the picture taking. Half the time she doesnt post them here she just puts them in a safe place.

    Hugs & smoochies! XOXO

    Hailey

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh-oh! Sorry about your camera!
    Yes. Borrow your mom's and wait until you have saved enough money to get another one.
    Kisses and hugs
    Lorenza

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a point and shoot just like your no-longer-working Powershot. I rarely ever use it anymore b/c my DSLR is permanently attached to my hip, but it's nice to have as a back-up or for nights out when my DSLR would ruin my outfit. LOL. I'm with you, a camera is a necessity (especially for me now with the photography hobby/business). If it were me, I'd take advantage of Mom's camera until I could decide which sort I wanted. :) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sad! I know that is tough! I'd hate to be without my camera. However, I'm a huge big-camera person! I have a Nikon D40 that is my LOVE! I've had it for two years and it just makes me so happy! Good luck deciding what to do! And we need to hear more about your house wait! What's up?

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments! Tell me what you're thinking. :-)

 
Blog Design by Creative Girl Media