March 21, 2011

Tuesdays At The Table - Buttermilk Biscuits

Happy Tuesday, ladies!!  And better yet - HAPPY SPRING! It snowed here today...but it will warm up eventually.  :-)

This week I'm sharing buttermilk biscuits.  So easy; so yummy; so versatile!

Lovely Yellow Ribbons


Buttermilk Biscuits

3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup cold vegetable shortening
2 tablespoons cold butter
1 1/3 cup buttermilk

Egg Wash
In a small bowl beat together one large egg with 1 tablespoon water.



Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Lightly grease a large baking sheet and set aside.

In a large bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda until combined well. Cut in the butter and shortening until mixture resembles small peas. Stirring with a fork, gently add in buttermilk to make a soft dough. With floured hands knead dough gently, in bowl.

Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface. Roll or pat biscuit dough to 1/2 inch thickness and cut with a floured 2-inch biscuit cutter.

Place cut-out dough about 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheet. Brush buttermilk biscuit tops with Egg Wash. Bake biscuits in the center of the oven for 14-17 minutes, until golden brown.

What's cooking in your kitchen?



Want to be in business for yourself, but not by yourself? It is still FREE to sign up with Bamboopink and have your own personalized website to sell Bamboopink jewelry by JudeFrances. Over 22,000 people nationwide signed up in just over a month...and you can too! Click HERE. Don't want to sell, but want the inside track on discounts?  Sign up!!


26 comments:

  1. Oooh I looooove biscuits! Especially with some sausage gravy? Forget about it! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my- this recipe sounds divine!! I'll have to pull out a good recipe and join in on the fun next Tuesday!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love biscuits. thanks for hosting. just linked mine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmmmmm.......sounds yummy. I love biscuits! As for your button. Email me what you'd like it to look like.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks! I needed a good buttermilk biscuit recipe. This one sounds delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This week I'm sharing Lemon Cranberry Muffins & other favorite breakfast options! Have a great week! Thanks for hosting!!

    Denise @ Creative Kitchen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Spring, Cole - those biscuits sound YUM! :-)

    Ramona

    http://create-with-joy.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. those biscuits look great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. thanks for hosting again! i'm linking up with some thai sticky rice.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your biscuit recipe sounds good!
    It's my first time here...and I'm linking up a popular roll in the Philippines called Pandesal(Pan De Sal which means salt bread)...but isn't that salty though. It's a little sweet and truly yummy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yummy, looks like I might be making the hubby some biscuits soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You can't go wrong with buttermilk biscuits! Thanks for hosting, ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well, I *just* made these ... came out DELISH! We will be having bacon, egg, and cheese biscuits for dinner now instead of what I had planned because I am so excited to show off "my" new recipe to the hubby and kids :) YUM! Thanks so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've linked up my fresh clam chowder pot pie. The biscuits look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am so excited to find this link!

    I would like to invite you tojoin in on my WEEKLY RECIPE LINK PARTY...."Made it on Monday"

    http://larkscountryheart.blogspot.com/

    You can link up every week Wed.-Sat.

    Hope to see some recipes soon.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just linked up, love buttermilk biscuits they are the best.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Cole :-)
    God's 'timing' is again making me chuckling. After my therapy session today, I treated my neighbor/friend/driver to a late breakfast at Bob Evans, during which I commented on how biscuits is one thing I have not yet conquered. I can make them, but they have yet to turn out the way I want.
    Then i get on here and see what you posted .... humorous! I shall have to keep trying!

    How are you healing?
    What about your mom?
    How's your grandma?
    Good job saving that much on your web purchase the other day!
    Hope you like your new glasses.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yummy. Happy Spring. Oh no, that means it's going into autumn where I am in NZ :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I linked up a recipe for virtually fat free carrot muffins. They are so good and I am eating them as a low calorie breakfast each morning as part of a healthier eating/lose weight goal.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Just found your site hopping around in the blogworld :]

    ReplyDelete
  21. The biscuits look great.. I've linked a vegetarian engree called falafel. Itis really delicious and is made really simply, yet still crunchy in a slow cooker! You have to try them

    ReplyDelete
  22. Nothing better than homemade biscuits!
    Thanks for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Cole! I am giggling because I just made biscuits on tuesday with some chicken gravy. I make mine with a combination of lard and butter and they come out stupendously! I am so happy to be able to use a traditional recipe now that butter and lard are health heros again! :) I am linking up some awesome barbecue beef on an bun! All the best, Alex

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments! Tell me what you're thinking. :-)

 
Blog Design by Creative Girl Media