June 20, 2011

Tuesdays At The Table - Black Bean Soup

Happy Tuesday, ladies!  I hope everyone had a relaxing weekend - and got to do something special for their dad and/or the father of your child(ren). :-)

Photobucket


I know it sounds crazy...but I still like soup during the summer.  Sure, it warms you up a little.  Which does make it perfect for the cold weather.  But I just can't say good-bye to soup for almost half the year.  How about you?

Black Bean Soup

10-12 sun-dried tomatoes (not packed in oil)
1 cup boiling water
1 medium onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 tsp. cayenne
2 tbsp. vegetable (or canola) oil
1 tsp. ground cumin
1/3 cup water
1 can (28 oz.) crushed tomatoes
2 cans (16 oz) cooked black beans, undrained
2 tsp. dried cilantro

Cut up your sun-dried tomatoes (I use kitchen shears).  In a small bowl, cover them with boiling water and set aside.

In a soup pot, saute the onions, garlic and cayenne in the oil for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until the onions are translucent.  Add the cumin, water and crushed tomatoes.  Cover and bring to a boil.  Lower the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.  Add the black beans (and their liquid) and cilantro and continue to simmer, stirring occasionally.

Slightly drain the sun-dried tomatoes.  Add them to the soup, stir and cook for another 5-10 minutes, until the onions are tender.  (Add more water if the soup is too thick for your liking.)

What's cooking in your kitchen?



18 comments:

  1. Hi Cole,
    Hope you are enjoying your first week at home after the job. I remember my first week after I left the work force. Your Black Bean Soup looks delicious. Thank you for hosting and have a great day!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree on the soups. We even have some chili and cornbread during the warmer months because my husband loves it so much and it's simple for me to put the chili in the slow cooker.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Soup is especially great when you can use a slow cooker! No heating up the kitchen! Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi and Hello. This is my first time linking up here on your gorgeous blog. I am very new to blogging and stumbled upon this lovely link and am thrilled. Lots of yumminess to get through here! Thank you so much for having me!

    Veronica
    www.tasselsandtwigs.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love soup anytime of the year! I love black bean soup too, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for hosting again! The soup looks tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well I don't mind warming up in the summer. I drink my hot tea all day long! :-) Thinking about chili tonight actually!

    Thanks for hosting! I shared Low Carb Cream Cheese Pancakes which are sugar free and grain free. I'm in the midst of a low carb experiment eating REAL foods!

    Denise @ Creative Kitchen

    ReplyDelete
  8. The soup sounds so delish! I too love soup regardless of the season! :)
    I'm sharing my deep fried stuffed peppers and homemade avocado ice cream!
    Have a great Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fantastic sounding soup! I can't wait to give that a try. We have some cool, rainy weather coming up this weekend and that would be perfect. Thanks so much for hosting. I have linked up my Lindt White Coconut Chewy Oatmeal Cream Pie Cookies. Hope you have a wonderful Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love soup ANY time! My husband won't eat it in the summer. I have no problem making tortilla soup just for me :) This is my first time linking up at your blog and your black bean soup sounds terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We enjoy soup year round at our place, but not when it's sweltering! Black bean is a family favorite; thanks for sharing! Blessings, ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love soups any time of the year, but I do love cold refreshing soups in the middle of summer.

    Your Black Bean soups sounds yummy.

    Thank you for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have never made a cold soup but think I just might try it this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your black bean soup sounds fantastic! I love the addition of the sun dried tomatoes! Definitely going to try this. Thanks for sharing and for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I also love soup all year round. Summer is a great time for light soups-- egg drop, quick veggie purees, etc.

    I've posted up a flexible recipe for spring rolls with fruit! Great (portable) way to eat fruit salad and sneak a little extra veg in. Gluten-free, vegan, and easily made nut/peanut free if necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This soup sounds so good and hearty. I am always on the look out for yummy new soup recipes. Thanks so much for hosting this meme.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Funny! I posted this week about how I can't eat hot soups during the summer! I do like black bean soup though. Have never had one with sun dried tomatoes.

    This week I'm linking a goat cheese and tomato dish that I like to eat as a kind of soup. It can also be a salad.

    Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think black bean soup is a great summer soup since it's much lighter than a meat-based soup. My garlic cheese biscuits would go well with your soup. :-)

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments! Tell me what you're thinking. :-)

 
Blog Design by Creative Girl Media