July 18, 2011

Tuesdays At The Table - Lemon Ginger Meringues

Happy Tuesday, ladies!! Is everyone enjoying this heatwave?!?!  Yeah.  Me either.  At least we're all suffering from coast-to-coast TOGETHER! :-) **group hug**

Anyway, because I don't have central air conditioning...the only cooking I do is early in the morning or late at night. Something about 90 degree heat (and rising) doesn't inspire me to turn on the oven.  How are you dealing with keeping everyone fed during the heat?  Are you a lucky person who has central air conditioning? Eat only things that can be grilled? Eating out a lot?


Photobucket


I love meringue cookies during the summer.  They're light, barely require time in the oven and store well.

Lemon Ginger Meringues

2 egg whites
1 tsp lemon extract
1/8 tsp cream of tartar
1/8 tsp ground ginger
1/2 cup sugar

Crack eggs and let egg whites come up to room temperature in a medium bowl.  Add lemon extract, cream of tartar and ginger to egg whites.  Beat with an electric mixer (on medium) until they form soft peaks. Add the sugar a tablespoon at a time, beating on high until stiff peaks form. 

Spoon egg white mixture about two inches apart (or you can use a decorating bag and round or star tips for a pretty design) onto parchment lined baking sheets.

Bake at 300 degrees for 10 minutes.  Turn off oven and let cookies dry in a closed oven for 40-45 minutes.  Transfer to a wire rack and let cool.  Store in an airtight container.

What's cooking in your kitchen?



19 comments:

  1. Hi,
    It is hot... I shared my GF Zucchini pancakes with a video and an article I hope fits in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sharing tips for cilantro. Thank you for hosting

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Cole,
    Your Meringues look great. I am sharing my Skillet Chops today and hope everyone enjoys them. Thanks for hosting and have a great week!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love meringues, but I never had them with ginger flavor. That sounds really yummy.

    Thank you for hosting again....today I am sharing my Summer Low Calorie Potato Salad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here in the Pacific NW (I live is SW Washington) it has been cool, cloudy, and even rainy. We're still waiting for summer to arrive -- it hasn't yet hit 90 here yet. My heart goes out to you all!

    I'm sharing our latest muffin recipe made with freshly picked organic raspberries. So good and so good for you! Blessings, ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those merigunes sound delish! I just discovered ginger a few years ago and love it, and my entire family loves all things with lemon.

    I'm lucky enough to have central air, but don't get jealous. With weather this hot, that only helps so much. You might enjoy my fish recipe since it cooks quickly. Less time in the kitchen for you.

    Thanks for hosting the party!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so excited to share all my Berry Recipes from our trip to the Strawberry Fields! This is a delicious muffin recipe. The streusel sends it over the top! Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello!!
    Have posted my recipe for Mango flavored Crêpes for the summer season!Hope you enjoy it!

    Cheers,
    Wit,wok&wisdom

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for hosting again! Your meringues look tasty!

    I'm linking up with an old favorite - Egg in a Basket. Hope you enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look delicious! Love lemon and ginger together!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've always found meringues intimidating!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm definitely in the group that finds meringues intimidating! :) But you make them sound very easy so maybe I just need to suck it up and go for it?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I make these during the holidays, but never thought about during the summer. As light as they are I'll bet they are perfect summer treats!

    ReplyDelete
  14. No AC? Say what?! I'm realizing that this can be common for you Northerners, but it is simply not an option down here in the South, so I didn't realize that this isn't completely common! My brain is now on overload....

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi,
    I linked up my Fruit Filled Meringue Shells. This is my first time here. It looks like you have a lot of nice recipes and tips linked up. Thanks for hosting!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yum! Your meringues sound great. Never thought of making them with ginger but it sounds like something I would love. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm mostly just trying not to use the oven. We have central air, but still. Microwave, sandwiches, salads, etc...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for hosting!
    I have central AC, but a very hot kitchen. When I cook, I set up a large fan. Of course, I have to remember to turn it away from me when working with flour and powdered sugar!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for hosting - this is my first visit.

    Linking up with Cheddar & Bacon soup :)

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments! Tell me what you're thinking. :-)

 
Blog Design by Creative Girl Media