September 19, 2011

Tuesdays At The Table - Creamy Spinach Lasagna

Howdy, girls!!  Did everyone have a fun weekend?!  I did!!  I got to hang out with Kristin Friday night, got to celebrate my Grandma's 89th birthday on Saturday and got tons of cooking, cleaning and organizing done on Sunday.  :-)

This week I'm sharing a recipe that I tinker with each time I make it.  I absolutely love spinach, and if I'm cooking for my mom (a vegetarian) this makes her happy - most people I know are looking for a little meat in their lasagna.  To make the lasagna more "protein friendly", I tend to add ground turkey that I've given a quick browning to.

Photobucket


Creamy Spinach Lasagna

1 tablespoon olive oil
2 1/4 cups chopped onion (about 2 medium)
2 or 3 garlic cloves, minced
1 (16-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed, drained, and squeezed dry (or 2 and a half cups of FRESH spinach)
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
3 cups 2% reduced-fat milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
1 (26-ounce) jar marinara sauce, divided
Cooking spray
12 cooked whole wheat lasagna noodles, divided
1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella and asiago cheese, divided (or the "italian blend" cheese)


Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, cooking 10 minutes or until onion is browned, stirring occasionally. Stir in garlic and spinach. Reduce heat, cover, and cook 3 minutes (until spinach is tender). Set aside.

Combine flour, milk, salt, black pepper, and red pepper in a small saucepan, stirring with a whisk. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring frequently. Reduce heat and simmer 1 minute, stirring frequently. Add 2 cups milk mixture to spinach mixture. Cover remaining milk mixture, and set aside.

Spread 1/2 cup marinara sauce in bottom of a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Arrange 3 lasagna noodles over sauce; top with half of spinach mixture. Top with 3 lasagna noodles, 1 cup marinara sauce, and 3/4 cup cheese. Layer 3 more lasagna noodles, remaining spinach mixture, and remaining 3 lasagna noodles. Top with remaining marinara sauce. Pour reserved milk mixture over the top, and sprinkle with remaining 3/4 cup cheese. Bake at 375° for 50 minutes or until lasagna is browned on top.

What's cooking in your kitchen?


19 comments:

  1. i have been looking for a good veggie lasagna recipe and this fits the bill!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    I shared mt brisket with natural gravy and a video of making coconut flour bread as well as an article about celiac disease.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good morning!
    Sharing my old-standby great recipe for Super Quick Whole Grain Biscuits w/ GF & DF options -

    and
    one of my always requested recipes - Wonderful Homemade Popcorn Topping.
    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I left a recipe for shrimp stirfry--fast and easy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for hosting! This week I have shared the following three seasonal farm-to-table recipes that I made last week and one blog posting:

    celery & turnip soup
    http://theintentionalminimalist.blogspot.com/2011/09/celery-turnip-soup.html

    mediterranean kale salad
    http://theintentionalminimalist.blogspot.com/2011/09/mediterranean-kale-salad.html

    zesty cucumber mango soup & salad
    http://theintentionalminimalist.blogspot.com/2011/09/zesty-cucumber-mango-soup-salad.html

    what is csa black box cooking?
    http://theintentionalminimalist.blogspot.com/2011/09/what-is-csa-black-box-cooking.html

    Happy cooking!

    The Intentional Minimalist

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your site! I posted a recipe for peach honey - yum. http://ourheirloomlife.blogspot.com/2011/09/millions-of-peaches.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmmm! Just the sort of comfort I love! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, Cole! Today, I shared a recipe for Lithuanian kugelis. Thank you for hosting us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Cole, Great party again this week. I love the felt pumpkins! So cute. I'm not crafty in the least but if anyone feels like sending me some I would be delighted:) I'm sharing a short video on one of my favorite whole foods, quinoa.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cole, that sounds great for a cool fall day! I linked up my Balsamic Shrimp with Bacon Mixed Greens Salad Recipe.

    I thought you and your readers might be interested in a giveaway I have at my blog. It is for Rocco Dispirito’s new book (releases next Tuesday) and 2 lucky winners get a signed copy! http://www.copingwithfrugality.com/2011/09/chef-rocco-dispiritos-new-healthy.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm a new follower and new to the blog hop. Your recipe looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. OK, the linky asked for my name, and that it what I put in. I should have put the recipe name. It is A-Z Quick Bread. My bad, I will know better the next time. Thanks for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your Spinach Lasagna would be perfect for me, however my hubby would be asking"where's the meat"? LOL. Thanks for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love spinach too. It's my favorite vegetable. Thanks for the meatless idea. And thanks for hosting. This week I brought a creamy, cheesy, comforting vegetable au gratin.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love lasagna, especially ones that have spinach in them. There's just something so comforting about cream and spinach!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for hosting this blog hop each week :O)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love a good veggie lasagna. I can't wait to try this out!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi, Cole. Your spinach lasagna looks fantastic. I am sharing a recipe for ambrosia today. This is a super, quick recipe and the ambrosia is divine. Thank you for hosting us!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments! Tell me what you're thinking. :-)

 
Blog Design by Creative Girl Media