January 02, 2012

Tuesdays At The Table - Quinoa Stuffed Peppers

Happy New Year!!  :-)  I hope everyone had a good time ringing in the New Year.  I had a really nice night with my cousin, her fiance & their son.  There was a yummy dinner of prime rib, cheesy bacon mashed potatoes & green beans, a little friendly competition on the Wii...and otherwise just enjoying each others company.

Can I say that I'm happy to have made it through the holidays?!  I love them...but I'm glad that I have a few months before I need to think about getting ready for the next round.  :-)

Did you see that I'm giving away a copy of MyMemories Digital Scrapbooking Software?  You should enter! It's so much fun to play with!!

Photobucket

A whole lot of people are vowing to eat healthy in the New Year, so I'm pulling out a healthy, hearty meal that I really enjoy!

Quinoa Stuffed Peppers

1 can (14-1/2 ounces) vegetable broth
1/4 cup water
1 bay leaf
1 cup quinoa, rinsed
6 bell peppers (red, yellow, green - your choice) 
4 medium carrots, finely chopped
2 medium onions, finely chopped
1 tablespoon canola oil
2 tablespoons sunflower kernels
2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/8 teaspoon dried marjoram
1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
Dash cayenne pepper

In a small saucepan, bring the broth, water and bay leaf to a boil. Add quinoa. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Discard bay leaf.

Cut peppers in half lengthwise and discard seeds. In a large pot, cook peppers in boiling water for 3-5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain and rinse in cold water; drain on paper towels.

In a large nonstick skillet, saute the carrots and onions in oil until tender. Add the quinoa, sunflower kernels and seasonings; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until heated through. Spoon into pepper halves. Place in a baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until peppers are tender.

What's cooking in your kitchen?



10 comments:

  1. Sounds delicious! I've been wanting to cook more vegetarian meals, so I will add this to my list of stuff to make.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great twist on traditional stuffed peppers. Happy and healthy 2012!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whew...glad it's overs but I kinda miss my tree cuz it was such a good pllace to hide my toys;)

    Unfortunately mum and dad eat healthy all year...bleh! Them stuffed peppers sound deeeeeelish!

    Puddles

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for hosting this, found you by way of the newlywed's blog. I had to post twice since when it asked for my name, I put my name, not my recipe's name, lol, you can remove #28 if you can do that.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy New Year, Cole! I shared a sesame chicken meatballs recipe today. These make a great appetizer for any party. Thank you for hosting us again and have a great week!

    Christy @ toolsforkitchens

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi I'm a new follower,thanks for hosting :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Cole. Your stuffed peppers sound interesting and I love quinoa! I shared a apricot chicken with gorgonzola and mozzarella recipe today. Thank you for hosting us again and have a great week!

    Christy @ toolsforkitchens

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy New Year! I'm sharing my crustless cheesecake - great for those avoiding gluten and grains. Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for hosting,linked my 'Prawns wrapped in Ham' recipe

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments! Tell me what you're thinking. :-)

 
Blog Design by Creative Girl Media