January 30, 2012

Tuesdays At The Table/2 on Tuesday - Broccoli Cheddar Soup

If you haven't noticed, I try to do two posts on Tuesdays - our usual recipe link up, and Andrea's 2 on Tuesday (the topic for that changes every week).  As it would happen, this week's topic is food!!  We're being asked what our two "go-to" recipes are.
2 on Tuesday


I am a sucker for orange chicken, and the crock-pot version is so easy and absolutely delicious!  I posted the recipe almost a year ago, and you can find it here.

Another recent favorite is Mexican egg rolls.  It's a yummy meal that can be altered to accommodate even the pickiest of kids, and it's fun for them to help assemble too! The recipe from a few months ago is here.

Because I can't follow rules - I'm going to share my favorite dessert too.  If I get invited to a cook-out and don't have much time to prepare, these suckers are going with me.  (Fine.  I bring them even if I have tons of time to prepare.  But people love them, I swear!)  Recipe here!

Photobucket

This week's recipe is a soup that a small group of my friends ask for every time I see them. 

Broccoli Cheddar Soup

6 tablespoons butter
1 small onion, chopped
1/4 cup flour
2 cups half & half
3 cups chicken broth
2 bay leaves
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
4 cups broccoli florets
1 large carrot, diced
2 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
Salt and pepper to taste

Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat.  Add the onion and cook until tender, about 5 minutes.  Whisk in the flour and cook until golden, 3 to 4 minutes, then gradually whisk in the half and half until smooth.  Add the chicken broth, bay leaves, nutmeg, salt and pepper and bring to a simmer.  Reduce the heat to medium low and cook, uncovered, until thickened, about 30 minutes.

Add the broccoli and carrot to the brother mixture and simmer until tender, about 20 minutes.  Discard the bay leaves.  Puree the soup with an immersion blender.  Add the cheese and whisk over medium heat until melted.

What's cooking in your kitchen?

 

12 comments:

  1. Oooh Mexican eggrolls! I'm drooling over the very thought!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your soup looks delicious. I am sharing my Strawberry Jalapeno Muffins today. Thanks for hosting and have a wonderful week!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great soup weather. Your broccoli soup looks really good. I've shared a link for superbowl recipe ideas that are also gluten free.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mexican Egg Rolls sound yummy and you just gave me an idea for tomorrow's soup.

    Thank you so much for hosting. Today I am sharing my Sunshine Salad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love chicken so I am sure I would enjoy orange chicken. I am also a soup fan so I would be happy to try the soup recipe you have featured. I am a new follower of your Blog and have added a link that shows the recipe for curry chicken. Do enjoy the rest of your week.
    Judy - JUDY H-J'S THOUGHTS

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those Mexican eggrolls look great. Thanks for hosting! More Mardi Gras for me this week w/ Muffuletta Pinwheels.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for hosting!! Posted my slow cooker ravioli!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey doll! So I totally thought today was Tuesday... um. no. #FAIL

    hahahahah! Let me know if you make the chips - I'm still addicted!! :)

    xoxo Thanks for the link up!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments! Tell me what you're thinking. :-)

 
Blog Design by Creative Girl Media